Saturday 8 June 2019

Book Review - The Honeymoon by Rona Halsall

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: The Honeymoon
Author: Rona Halsall
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 7th June 2019
Rating: 5 Stars


‘I’m your husband, Chloe. We’re a partnership now and we do what’s best for us as a couple. It’s not open for discussion. We’re not going home.’ 

Chloe had the dream wedding. Dan is her perfect man. They haven’t known each other for long, but as she walked down the aisle and saw him standing by the altar, tears glistening in his eyes, she knew this was forever.

Later, as they relax on a beautiful island, settling in to their new married life together, they congratulate themselves on their lovely wedding day, and Dan jokes that he’d like them to stay there forever.

But as the honeymoon goes on, he becomes increasingly adamant. They shouldn’t leave. In fact, he won’t let her…

An utterly gripping psychological thriller for fans of Gillian Flynn, Clare Mackintosh, and The Wife Between Us.

Well the cover was definitely the initial draw to this book for me, along with the title, after all I do like a book featuring a holiday.  I then read the blurb,  and was so convinced I had an idea of what would happen before I even started reading, that surely it was a mere formality?

Well I couldn't have been more wrong, nor so delighted to admit it - this is a twisty book, full of surprises, and just when you think you know everything you need to know,  something else happens and shakes up all your beliefs all over again. 

I mean that whole last section of the book, I couldn't put down even if I tried, I was reading practically open mouthed at the way the finale picked up pace (well what I thought was the finale!).  And still the shocks kept on coming, all the way to the last page. 

This is so so much better than I could have imagined and although this is the first book I've read by the author, I have a very strong feeling I will be paying her new releases a lot closer attention in the future. 

From the first few pages I was gripped, and it was a lovely easy writing style.  I had read the first 20% in the bath and then in bed, before realising I'd better try to sleep or I'd be up all night. But given how little time I'd spent on the book, I knew for sure it was going to be a great and quick to read story. 

This is a book that just shows how little you know anyone, and far more importantly that no matter how much you think you love someone, getting married within two months of meeting them, is potentially not the smartest move you will ever make - especially if you are the main characters of a psychological thriller!

If the blurb even slightly intrigues you for this book, I would definitely suggest giving it a read, I'm delighted that I did and I don't read the genre that much, but found it to be a fabulous book and one I'm overjoyed that I had the time to devour in one day. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...