Wednesday 26 June 2019

Book Review - I Owe You One by Sophie Kinsella

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: I Owe You One
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Black Swan
Publication Date: 27th June 2019
Rating: 3.5 Stars


The irresistible new standalone from Sophie Kinsella is a story of love, empowerment and an IOU that changes everything . . .

Fixie Farr can’t help herself. Straightening a crooked object, removing a barely-there stain, helping out a friend . . . she just has to put things right. It’s how she got her nickname, after all.

So when a handsome stranger in a coffee shop asks her to watch his laptop for a moment, Fixie not only agrees, she ends up saving it from certain disaster. To thank her, the computer’s owner, Sebastian, scribbles her an IOU – but of course Fixie never intends to call in the favour.

That is, until her teenage crush, Ryan, comes back into her life and needs her help – and Fixie turns to Seb. But things don’t go according to plan, and now Fixie owes Seb: big time.

Soon the pair are caught up in a series of IOUs – from small favours to life-changing debts – and Fixie is torn between the past she’s used to and the future she deserves.

Does she have the courage to fix things for herself and fight for the life, and love, she really wants?

One random act of kindness, leads to a stranger giving Fixie an IOU, and starts a chain of events that you may not have predicted from the outset. 

Fixie so named as she likes fixing everything is lovely, passionate about the family business, loyal to her family but honestly comes across as a doormat.  She drove me mad half the time, as she wouldn't stand up to her siblings. 

And the least said about her long term love and crush, the better. He was utterly despicable. 

I'm really not sure if I liked most of the characters. In fact my favourite character is one that doesn't talk back -its the family shop Farrs.   We get enough description, plus of the vibe of the place and what it sells, that it feels like a character in its own right. 

I suspect had I read this any other week I would have loved it more, but given how exhausted I am, I have to say that reading this felt a bit like hard work.  It didn't really draw me back into it, which is odd as I normally love a Sophie Kinsella book. 

It's not a bad book in the slightest, and I did enjoy most of it, but its also not the best or funniest of Sophie Kinsella's standalone books. There are moments of humour and the further I got into the book, the more I was enjoying it, especially once I started to see the evidence of character development as they became more rounded people. 

Filled with characters you love to hate, a lovely small business, a complete mix of personalities in one story and a series of favours and good deeds done, thanks to one IOU note, this is a good story, which frustratingly felt a bit short for me. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Black Swan for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...