Thursday 13 June 2019

Book Review - Sinner by Jacqui Rose

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK

Title: Sinner
Author: Jacqui Rose
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: 13th June 2019
Rating: 5 Stars


Having been brought up amongst the hardest gangsters and faces of London, Franny Doyle learnt never to let love be her weakness. But she’ll do anything to protect those close to her, and at whatever cost.

Her partner Alfie Jennings is under pressure. The only person he ever sent down has recently been released from prison, and his Soho nightclub is under threat from his rival Charlie Eton – a man who doesn’t respond kindly to people taking away his business.

Charlie is playing dirty to come out on top, and when innocent children become involved in the feud, Franny and Alfie are dragged into a dark underworld where Alfie must face demons from his past, and Franny is in a dangerous race against time to ensure her own secrets aren’t exposed.

Betrayal and lies come with consequences, and old sins cast long shadows…
The heart-racing new thriller perfect for fans of Kimberley Chambers and Martina Cole.

This is now the third book I've read by Jacqui Rose, and I'm still not 100% positive I like them.   I mean they have far too much violence, and unpleasant subject matter in them, the body counts seem very high, but yet every time I pick up one of these books I find I am racing through it completely hooked. 

I'm completely and utterly addicted to this author's version of London, the dark seedy underbelly where the most notorious of crime and gangster families are working side by side, sometimes more peacefully than others.  Where everyone seems to either know everyone else, or is related to them. 

In fact I would love to see some sort of family tree for all these characters as it really is mind blowing to try to keep track of. 

Sinner focuses on Alfie Jennings and Franny Doyle and continues on a few months later from Fatal.  I found it really easy to get back into the story and the familiar characters and their stories came back to me reasonably fast.  

The amount of action in this book is staggering, and we get to know so much more about Alfie and Franny and learning that they both have a slightly different side to them is very good to know. 

Yet a large amount of the actual subject matter with the crimes is really uncomfortable to read.   I'm not really sure I could ever say that I enjoyed a book that deals with horrific subject matters, but I can completely appreciate just how talented a writer Jacqui Rose is - for keeping me coming back for more and more, leaving me already knowing that the wait for the next one is too long.   

I was completely hooked on this and I do love a fast quick paced thriller, and this did far more than just hold my attention throughout. Very impressive book. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Avon for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...