Thursday 6 July 2017

Book Review - Don't Close Your Eyes by Holly Seddon

Amazon UK
Title:  Don't Close Your Eyes
Author: Holly Seddon
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Corvus
Publication Date: 6th July 2017 
Rating: 4 Stars


Robin and Sarah weren't the closest of twins. They weren't even that similar. But they loved each other dearly. Until, in the cruellest of domestic twists, they were taken from one another.

Now, in her early 30s, Robin lives alone. Agoraphobic and suffering from panic attacks, she spends her days pacing the rooms of her house. The rest of the time she watches - watches the street, the houses, the neighbours. Until one day, she sees something she shouldn't...

And Sarah? Sarah got what she wanted - the good-looking man, the beautiful baby, the perfect home. But she's just been accused of the most terrible thing of all. She can't be around her new family until she has come to terms with something that happened a long time ago. And to do that, she needs to track down her twin sister.

But Sarah isn't the only person looking for Robin. As their paths intersect, something dangerous is set in motion, leading Robin and Sarah to fight for much more than their relationship...

For the majority of the book I was really enjoying it, I was very curious to see just where it was going, and how it would turn out. However I can't help but feel the ending came out of nowhere, and its just left me feeling a bit unsettled and it just felt like the conclusion really didn't have enough explanation for my liking. 

However as I say the majority of the book I absolutely loved. It's a story of twins, Robin and Sarah, both as they are now, but also as children and their life growing up.  It was the chapters that were set in their childhood that I found myself really hooked on. 

But yet if I say what I want to about their pasts, I'll probably be giving away key spoilers, and equally their present situations aren't the easiest to explain. I will say that the twins have been estranged for many years, are completely different from each other, and yet they may be each others only hope. 

As children I felt really sorry for them, as adults I'm not sure how much I really liked or was drawn to either twin.  The book touches on many different issues and I felt they were all dealt with sensitively and with a feeling of realism towards them. 

Don't Close Your Eyes was well written and I did find large parts of it to be completely compulsive reading. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Corvus for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...