Tuesday 18 February 2020

Book Review - The Beach by Sarah Linley

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: The Beach
Author: Sarah Linley
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: One More Chapter
Publication Date: 21st February 2020
Rating: 4 Stars

The gripping debut thriller – you will not want to miss the book everyone will be talking about this year!
It should have been paradise. But it turned into hell…
It was supposed to be the perfect trip. Four friends, fresh out of university, backpacking around Thailand. But among the sun, sea and sand, something went horribly wrong…

In the years since, Holly has tried hard to push memories of that terrible summer from her mind. Now a schoolteacher, she believes her life is finally coming together when she meets Tom and his adorable five-year-old son, Jack.

But then, Holly starts receiving anonymous messages, showing photos which Holly was sure she destroyed years ago. Someone clearly knows the truth about what really happened. The only question is, how far will they go to get revenge?

'A gripping thriller which kept me hoo

From the first few pages I was gripped and needed to know the truth of whatever the situation was that had Holly fearing her life  would be over if the details were ever revealed. 

She is being stalked but doesn't want to report it for fear of the police wanting to know the why, and she is also trying to deepen her new boyfriends commitment so that she doesn't feel like a secret.   In addition she is worried about one of the children in her class at school , which although not a main story-line, did hold my interest especially with regards safeguarding procedures. 

We also in between the present day chapter get the story of Holly's close friendships at uni and eventually that trip to the Far East that lead to one of the friends coming home dead.  

The chapters where we get to see their travels were spot on for, I loved the details, I felt as though I was alongside the friends in Cambodia, Vietnam and then Thailand.  I could picture it all so clearly, and would have loved more of it in the book. 

As readers we know early on who is causing Holly hassle, but the motives are only made clear slowly, and I loved seeing inside their head, while wondering what they will try next, given it's clear they are ramping up their campaign on Holly.

At times rather creepy, others a bit more gentle but still very interesting, and at others I was hitting the end of a chapter and gasping, then ruing the inevitability that he best most addictive bits were at points I had to put the book down to either get on with real life, or to stop myself reading all night!! If life wasn't in the way I'd be saying this was fairly unputdownable! 

A rather impressive debut thriller, that I'm delighted I took the time to read.  Definitely kept me on my toes and when I wasn't reading, I was wishing  that I was continuing with the story. 

Thank you to One More Chapter and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...