Friday 28 February 2020

Book Review - The Birthday Party by Rosin Meaney

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: The Birthday Party
Author: Roisin Meaney
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Hachette Books Ireland
Publication Date: 27th June 2019
Rating: 4 Stars

Another summer is in full swing on Roone, an island off the west coast of Ireland, and preparations are underway for a big birthday party at the local hotel. But before then, love and friendship will be tested ...

Who is the stranger who arrives at Imelda's door, just weeks after her world falls to pieces?

How long can Eve hide her secret from Andy?

And will Nell and Laura's friendship survive the storm that's about to hit the island?

The Birthday Party is the spellbinding new novel from the queen of summer reading

It has been far too long since I last read a Roisin Meaney book, especially one set on Roone.  And as much as I recall loving these Roone books,  the specifics weren't coming to mind and as a result it took me a long while to completely get into the swing of things. 

There were hints which helped give me some reminders, but I do feel that this book could have done with a cast list at the front, explaining how everyone was related or connected which would he helped people like me that read large numbers of books a year, to get back into the swing of things, or give new readers a reference  if things were confusing. 

But once past that I was very much interested in the various story lines in this story. There are secrets which some people know but other's don't which came out in the most fabulous way! 

There are other secrets hinted at throughout the book that only get revealed towards the end, without a major fan-fair but with enough oomph that I suspect this won't be the last book set on the island. 

In fact I think this (and the other Roone books) would make a wonderful soap opera, with all the various drama, friendships, families and step families, or at least a few series of a great TV drama. 

I really enjoyed the writing, and there was plenty of story to sink your teeth into.  Within moments of picking up the book I had the image of Roone back in my mind, and I did feel at home amongst the pages. 

I just really hope there won't be such a long gap before the next book set on this fabulous little Irish Island, with the quirky community. 

Thank you to Hachette Ireland and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...