Wednesday 19 February 2020

Book Review - Clear My Name by Paula Daly

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: Clear My Name
Author: Paula Daly
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Transworld Digital
Publication Date: 20th February 2020
Rating: 4 Stars

Innocent?

When Carrie was accused of brutally murdering her husband’s lover, she denied it. She denied it when they arrested her, when they put her in front of a jury, and when they sent her to prison.

Now she’s three years into a fifteen-year sentence, away from the daughter she loves and the life she had built. And she is still denying that she is to blame.

Guilty?

Tess Gilroy has devoted her life to righting wrongs. Through her job for Innocence UK, a charity which takes on alleged miscarriages of justice, she works tirelessly to uncover the truth.

But when she is asked to take Carrie’s case, Tess realises that if she is to help this woman, she must risk uncovering the secrets she has struggled a lifetime to hide . . .

We’ve all done things we’re not proud of.

That was a different take on a crime novel, Tess Gilroy is devoted to trying to prove convicted criminals are in fact innocent and should be released. 

We follow Tess and her new trainee at Innoncence UK, Avril, as we try to determine whether Carrie really did murder her husband's lover.  

Throughout I couldn't quite make up my mind which side I was leaning on, i just had a sneaking feeling that it may be more complicated than it appeared, but couldn't work out why.   I was hooked as we are taken on a journey seeing just happened four years ago, when Carrie was arrested, as well as following Tess's story now. 

What added an extra dimension to this is just how Tess's incredibly deeply hidden personal life interconnects with this case in a way you couldn't have guessed.  I think I would have liked to see a bit more from that story line as I was really interested in it. 

I really enjoyed seeing how this story played out, there were some mini gasps from me, as the action progressed and it is another great book from a author I really enjoy reading.  

From around the half way point, the book was incredibly addictive and I just had to know what would happen next. 

Thank you to Transworld and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...