Wednesday 12 February 2020

Book Review - Mr Nobody by Catherine Steadman

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK

Title: Mr Nobody
Author: Catherine Steadman
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: 9th January 2020
Rating: 5 Stars

When a man is found on a Norfolk beach, drifting in and out of consciousness, with no identification and unable to speak, interest in him is sparked immediately. From the hospital staff who find themselves inexplicably drawn to him; to international medical experts who are baffled by him; to the nationalpress who call him Mr Nobody; everyone wants answers.  Who is this man? And what happened to him?

Neuropsychiatrist Dr Emma Lewis is asked to assess the patient. This is her field of expertise, this is the chance she’s been waiting for and this case could make her name known across the world. But therein lies the danger. Emma left this same small town in Norfolk fourteen years ago and has taken great pains to cover all traces of her past since then.

But now something – or someone – is calling her back. And the more time she spends with her patient, the more alarmed she becomes.

Has she walked into danger?

My mind is reeling,  I didn't see that coming at all. Just wow, what a book and almost certainly will be a content for one of my top books of the year. 

This was the first book I've read by Catherine Steadman, and I will happily admit that it was the cover that first drew me towards the book and then I read the blurb and thought it sounded quite interesting. 

Well nothing could have prepared me for book.  It's definitely one best read without any prior knowledge.  From the first chapters I could tell there was a rather impressive quality to the writing.  As I continued reading I realised that the book was getting under my skin.  I doubt I'll be forgetting it for a while. And despite needing to urgently get on with some work I read the whole of the second half of the book in one sitting oblivious to real life. 

This is a fascinating look at memory and how the brain works, it is clear that the author has done vast amounts of research into the topic and everything is present in a really accessible way. 

The two main characters well I wanted to know about both of them.  Dr. Emma Lewis is clearly hiding her past and we get glimpses of it from time to time.  Whereas the man, found on a beach and now being treated by Emma, is a mystery.   The first chapter from his point of view where it describes so clearly how it feels to have no memory, no clue of who you are, but yet knowing you need to find someone, and can still do assorted motor skills, is rather disconcerting.   And I found I had a great deal of empathy towards him. 

It's a quick paced story that kept me on my toes, kept me guessing and thinking.  I was completely hooked on this story, Easily the best book I've read so far this decade.  I definitely will be looking out for more from this author. I predict I may just have a book hangover now, I just can't get over how fabulous this was. 

Thank you to Simon & Schuster and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...