Monday 3 February 2020

Book Review - The Leaving Party, Lesley Sanderson - #HolidayReading Mexico

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: The Leaving Party
Author: Lesley Sanderson
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 31st January 2020
Rating: 5 Stars

Every year on the same day, on the anniversary, I receive a single black rose. Thirteen years of dark petals, jagged thorns, dredging up memories I’ve tried to forget…

I’ve packed up my life. All my belongings are carefully sealed in labelled boxes, my suitcases ready for my big move. I’m just days away from a new life abroad with my boyfriend, Ben.

No one knows the real reason I’m desperate to leave.

My best friend, Lena, is throwing me a leaving party. A celebration, to say goodbye. Champagne to toast my farewell. Speeches, full of fond memories.

No one knows what I’m running from.

Then another black rose appears, dragging up thirteen years of buried memories. My passport goes missing. The very people I am trying to escape from turn up at our house.

Someone knows what I did.

This party was meant to be the first night of the rest of my life – but now I don’t know if I’ll see tomorrow.

Someone knows my secret. They’re in my home, they're at my party, and they’re making me pay for it.

Psychological thrillers don’t get more addictive or gasp-worthy than this! Fans of K.L. Slater, The Girl on the Train and The Wife Between Us will love this unputdownable page-turner.

Ava and Lena have been best of friends and inseparable for years, especially after a significant moment 13 years ago. 

Now Lena has organised a surprise leaving party for Ava, before Ava flies to New York to start her new life. 

However I had the feeling very early on that something wasn't quite as it seems, and as the evening of this party progresses, things go from strange to creepy, and I'm trying to puzzle out just how it will all turn out. 

At the same time we get snippets of what happened at a party 13 years ago that changed their lives forever. 

There was an overwhelming feeling of dread and creepiness, all triggered by some black roses, and I do love a book that makes you feel uneasy as you read it. 

This is the first book I've read by this author and I was incredibly impressed by the storytelling and how it made me feel. I found it to be a very quick and compelling story that I read in a couple of very short hours poolside, unable to tear myself away for any reason. 

A gripping and enchanting story that may make you think twice at how well you know the people you are closest too. 

Thank you to Bookouture on Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...