Thursday 21 January 2021

Book Review - The Island by C. L. Taylor

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Island
Author: C. L. Taylor
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: HQ Young Adult
Publication Date: 21st January 2021
Rating: 5 Stars

Welcome to The Island.

Where your worst fears are about to come true…

It was supposed to be the perfect holiday: a week-long trip for six teenage friends on a remote tropical island.

But when their guide dies of a stroke leaving them stranded, the trip of a lifetime turns into a nightmare.

Because someone on the island knows each of the group’s worst fears. And one by one, they’re becoming a reality.

Seven days in paradise. A deadly secret.

Who will make it off the island alive?

Woah, that was an intense couple of hours as I couldn't put this book down,  but also couldn't quite figure out who was behind everything, in fact I didn't really come up with any theories as I was so absorbed in the story, I couldn't spare any space in my brain for anything other than reading the words and seeing it play out in my mind. 

Well the 6 teenage friends, were meant to be on the Island for a safe survival experience, camping out and living in the jungle for a week, on a private island with a guide.  Little where they expecting for the guide to die early on, and for their survival to suddenly become a real issue. 

For someone clearly has it in for them, there is no way off the island, they all have phobias and well they are starting to come true. 

There is definitely danger and trouble afoot on this island, and we are getting the story from two viewpoints, Jessie and Danny.  As a result I felt I knew those the best out of the friends, but you do get distinct pictures of the others with them, as well as their changing group dynamics over the year. 

Both Jessie and Danny are complex characters, neither have been truthful about their own phobias and both seem to have 

As we get to grips with this holiday that has turned into a nightmare for this group of teens, we get to know every corner of the Island. I sort of had the big private island that was featured in a horrific storyline in Neighbours earlier this year in the back of my mind, and although both attracted danger, that is where the similarities end.  I am starting to think though, having read another book recently about a private island where things go wrong, but in a completely other way too.... that private islands should be avoided at all costs. 

In fact please if you ever hear me say I want to go to a remote island, talk me out of it, they are downright terrifying settings, and just perfect for psychological thrillers but not necessarily real life! 

C. L. Taylor is the master of highly addictive books that I can devour in a matter of hours. I'm very glad I was able to sit and read it in one go, while ignoring the real world.  Just wow!  This may be a book for young adults, in which case I'm quite a bit older than the target audience but it didn't affect my enjoyment at all, as this has all the grit I need from a book and its just wow! 

Thank you to HQ Young Adult and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily, 

1 comment:

  1. It sounds great! I love C L Taylor's thrillers, so I'll definitely be reading this one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...