Friday 9 April 2021

Book Review - The Flight by Julie Clark

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Flight
Author: Julie Clark
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Publication Date: 25th June 2020
Rating: 5 Stars

Claire and Eva lead very different lives, but they have one thing in common - they are both in huge danger and need to disappear.

A chance encounter at the airport presents the two women with a simple but crazy solution: switch places then drop off the grid when they land.

But one woman will never reach her destination.

The Flight has been highly acclaimed across the world and delivers a smart, tense and twisting narrative that will have you hooked from the first page to the last. It's the perfect escapism, wherever you are!

Between the rather creepy prologue and then that first chapter, I was hooked and knew this would be book that I would be able to devour. 

And that is exactly what I have done over the course of about 3 sittings during the day, with breaks for work in between, I have been absorbed in both Claire and Eva's story. 

About just why it is they felt they had no choice but to disappear from their lives and just what happens next.  On the whole we get Claire's story in the present tense, seeing just how the aftermath of the decision unfolds. But perhaps more grippingly we get Eva's story, in the 6 months leading up to her meeting Claire, and what a story that is too. 

Both women had incredibly strong reasons to want to leave their current lives behind, and I couldn't help but continue to read on to see just what would be revealed next.  There was at least one moment where I gasped out loud and then said that I couldn't believe I hadn't made a certain connection. 

This is utterly gripping and I can't believe this is the first book I have read from the author and the fact that had if I wasn't seemingly obsessed with reading books with a travel connection, or holidays, or even just flights, and if that cover hadn't caught my attention that I would have missed out on such an accomplished and impressive book. 

I was rooting for Claire and Eva as everything unfurled and really would not have been able to predict the final outcomes at all. 

Addictive, and fabulous! 

Thank you to Hodder & Stoughton and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...