Friday 16 September 2016

Book Review - Christmas at the Little Village Bakery by Tilly Tennant

Amazon UK
Title: Christmas at the Little Village Bakery
Author: Tilly Tennant
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 16th September 2016
Rating: 5 Stars


It’s time to get toasty by the fire with a glass of mulled wine and a slice of chocolate yule log sprinkled with a little romance. Welcome to Christmas at the Little Village Bakery. 

Snow is falling in Honeybourne and Spencer is bringing home his American fiancĂ©e Tori for a traditional English Christmas with all the trimmings. But when his hippie mum and dad meet her high-maintenance parents, sparks of the wrong sort start to fly. Then Spencer bumps into his first love Jasmine and unexpected feelings come flooding back. 

Millie is run off her feet with Christmas orders at the Little Village Bakery and new baby Oscar. Thank goodness her cousin Darcie is here to help her. Although she does seem to be rather flirty with Millie’s boyfriend Dylan. 

Will Darcie ever find true love of her own? And is marrying Tori a terrible mistake for Spencer if his heart is with someone else? 


Well I thought The Little Village Bakery was brilliant with a fantastic cover, and although I had been looking forward to this Christmas return to Honeybourne, I was slightly apprehensive incase it wasn't as brilliant.  It didn't take me long to really I need to stop being nervous of sequels and embrace the new book - its brilliant and I am already wanting more Honeybourne! 

I believe this can be read as a standalone but given how much I enjoyed the first book too, I would recommend reading them both one after each other, to be able to really absorb yourself into the friendships, the bakery, and life in Honeybourne itself. 

I'll admit it took me a slight while to get back into the swing of things, but that is purely due to the amount of books I have read in between, I couldn't quite remember the characters instantly, but as the story progressed and I relaxed into the warm and cosy atmosphere of the book, things started to come back to me, removing that slight uneasy feeling. 

Although all the key characters from book one are back, the main focal point of this story is Spencer and Tori, who are not only coming to Honeybourne for Christmas, but their parents will be too, and the two parent sets have never met before. 

In fact Tori's parents don't really like Spencer at all, and seem to take an instant dislike to Honeybourne and almost everyone in it. Spencer's parents are the polar opposite, they love Tori, and I think the best way I can describe the two sides are the two sets of parents in "Meet The Fockers" as I really go those feelings from both parties. 

Another character with more of a larger part this time is Darcie, who is slowly getting into life in Honeybourne, and has some decisions of the heart to make. It was great seeing things from her point of view, and she is a character I would love to see more of. 

If you are reading this much before the Christmas season, then rest assured, its not over the top on festive feeling, just enough to get through the day itself, but the main Christmas bits there are, made me wish Christmas was coming a bit sooner! 

Christmas at the Little Village Bakery is a warm hug, in the depths of the cold of winter, would be perfect to read curled up by the fireplace, with some hot chocolate, and just enjoy the whole atmosphere of the book. It has some absolutely fabulous moments, some great small village community spirit and even what pretty much feels like a Christmas miracle. 

Thank you so much to Netgalley and Bookouture for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

2 comments:

  1. A warm hug ... Awww, what a lovely review! Thanks for sharing, Rachel. Well done, Tilly! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I had no idea there was going to be a sequel! I had to get it right away I loved the first book!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...