Wednesday 7 September 2016

Book Review - Cloudy with a Chance of Love by Fiona Collins

Amazon UK
Title: Cloudy with a Chance of Love
Author: Fiona Collins
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Carina
Publication Date:  21st July 2016
Rating: 5 Stars


Every cloud has a silver lining when it comes to love…

Daryl Williams never minded the fact that she had a big bottom. It’s always been behind her. In fact, it was one of the things that her husband loved about her. Until he ran off with her best friend, Gabby.

Daryl knows that she needs to get back in the dating game, she just doesn’t know how. So when her friend suggests taking a fortune forecast, she reluctantly agrees. And it looks like Daryl’s luck is in, by Friday she has a 99% chance of falling in love!

Only, even when it’s written in the stars, finding the one after the one is never easy…

My first thoughts when I came across this book besides being very glad there was a new Fiona Collins, was that the title keeps reminding me of the animated film Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs. Well there is only one word difference, but what a difference it makes, however yet there are some similarities too, both a pretty funny, and both also feature a weather girl! 

In fact I was laughing from the opening pages, where Daryl was waxing lyrical about how pleased she is with her rather large behind, and how on trend it is now to be well endowed in that region. We then move onto her throwing her wedding ring into a fountain at Trafalgar Square and best friend Sam using a fortune telling app. 

The app states categorically that Daryl has a 99% of falling in love by Friday...it was Sunday when the book starts. So what proceeds is Sam getting Darryl to do speed dating amongst other things to try and get a date a day to increase her chances of falling in love. 

Darryl who is only just divorced, goes along with it, and the speed dating event they go to is one of the best I have read about in chick lit. It's hilarious, full of people who have dressed up, and an MC who is big on the cringe factor, and has sorted out 3 different rounds for the speed dating! 

Sam also persuades Darryl to a singles cooking event, where the quality of men they meet was arguably better, and again was a fun event to read about. 

I pretty much loved all the character descriptions in this book, I had a real feel for their personalities, even if I didn't like the character, the writing was done well. 

What I am quickly discovering is that Fiona Collins is a fresh new voice in romantic comedy writing, I really enjoyed her previous book and this one is even better. I found myself smiling my way through this book, and this is the first book I've read during the Olympics, where the sport hasn't been a bigger draw than the book! Anything that can keep my attention while I'm trying to multi task with top level sport, definitely is a winner in my eyes! 

Thank you so much to Netgalley and Carina for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...