Saturday 17 September 2016

Book Review - Geli Voyante's Hot or Not by Elle Field - Back Catalogue Books



Back Catalogue Books is my new regular Saturday feature, focusing on books that are not the latest releases. There is going to be a mix of Q&As and also reviews, depending on what I have the space for. 

If you are an author wanting to take part in Back Catalogue Books then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you. 


I hope everyone enjoys this weekly look back at some of the slightly older books that are about but still great, and that I eventually make a dent in my TBRs as a result of it! 

Want to know more about Elle Field's books, then make sure you check out my interview with her also today.

Amazon UK

Title: Geli Voyante's Hot or Not
Author: Elle Field
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Self Published
Publication Date: 15th October 2013
Rating: 4 Stars


Geli Voyante is bored of being the Hot or Not girl, even if it has the perk of sitting next to Theo, the newspaper's very Hot political columnist. She's also getting a little lonely being single.

When her arch-nemesis Tiggy Boodles gets engaged, and other loved ones start to settle down, it's time for Geli to convince Theo that she's not as shallow as her column suggests and, more importantly, she's the one for him. Geli should remember though that there are always two sides to every story, and that applies to people too...

Geli Voyante is the sort of character that will potentially polarise view points, some will think she is utterly hilarious, others incredibly shallow, some people will marvel at the masses of ways she can pass a day at work (not working), and in the case of myself, I thought all of that and a lot more, although I was never sure I liked her, she is an entertaining main character, which has to count for something! 

I really enjoyed hating Tiggy Boodles though, Geli's arch-nemesis, and step-sister, The two really seem to have massive problems with each other that are explained, and date back many years. Tiggy seems like she will stop at nothing to destroy Geli's happiness. 

What amazed me was how much of the start of the book took place over the course of a single day, as every last thought that Geli had was expressed, seemed to be mentioned, but since it wasn't a run of the mill day, it did give great insights into Geli's personality, and her life in general. 

This is the first book I have read by Elle Field, having had it waiting patiently on my kindle for a few years, and if her main series is anywhere near as enjoyable as this story, then I'm sure I will become a huge fan.  

Without giving anything anyway, I spent most of the book wondering just what various people's angles, or secrets were, not that they were necessarily huge, but just from a gut feeling of "something isn't quite as it seems" point of view. By the point everything comes to a head until the end, the book became unputdownable, and I found myself completely hooked trying to get my poor brain around the conclusions and the action as it all played out. 

Geli Voyante's Hot or Not is a very enjoyable way to spend some your had earned free time, and has certainly made me more curious about the rest of this author's work. 

2 comments:

  1. So pleased that you enjoyed Geli Voyante's Hot or Not. Thank you for including me on Back Catalogue Books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Elle. So glad I have finally read one of your books.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...