Thursday 8 September 2016

Book Review - Love Is... by Haley Hill

Amazon UK
Title: Love Is...
Author: Haley Hill
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: MIRA
Publication Date: 8th September
Rating: 4 Stars


Dating Agency doyenne Ellie Rigby always thought that helping people find love with the hard part.

But now she’s all loved up with husband Nick and has hundreds of matchmaking successes under her belt, Ellie ought to know all there is to know about love.

As her struggles to get pregnant put strain on her marriage, and her matchmaking service starts losing clients, Ellie realises she has so much more to learn. So setting off on a global research trip, Ellie makes it her mission to find out what makes love last forever, and whether it’s enough to save her own romance.

Love Is.. was fascinating, as Ellie Rigby is on a search to try and work out how exactly you prevent divorce, stay in love and generally what happiness and love really are, in order to try and offer new services with her dating agency. 

However life has not been going completely to plan since we left Ellie at the end of It's Got To Be Perfect, and she is struggling to conceive, and generally seems a bit distant from husband Nick. Not to mention her best friend is also having marriage struggles and seems to keep popping up everywhere. 

Although this is a second book about a character, it can definitely be read as a standalone, as although I know I have read the first book last year, I couldn't remember any specifics, and didn't feel at a disadvantage for a faulty memory. 

I loved the pacing of this book, and the various witty comments, and some of the imagery when Ellie is meeting her professional gurus are fantastic. I loved the retreat in Texas, and the trip to Iceland, and the technology in Tokyo is something I can see being real within a few years, if it isn't already.  I also really enjoyed the various explanations on just what love really is, and various theories about divorce. 

At times I felt Ellie could be a bit idealistic about the world, and love, then again I may just be a big cynic, but I enjoyed reading her big dilemma in this story, while still rooting for her.  Although I am not going to reveal the ending, as that would spoil the book for everyone, I will say I can't help but think there should be another book for Ellie, as she is a great character and I think has a lot more to offer. 

Thank you Netgalley and MIRA for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...