Monday 5 September 2016

Rachel Reads Randomly - Vote #38


 
Thank you everyone for your input last time. The results of the last vote were:

1 Votes - Exposure by Ava Marsh
1 Votes -  It Had To Be You by Barbara Hannay and Nikki Logan
1 Vote -  My DisOrganised Life by Nina Whyle
4 Votes -   The Last Day I Saw Her by Lucy Lawrie
7 Votes -  Distress Signals by Catherine Ryan Howard

After having had a run of psychological thrillers that didn't really hit the right notes with me, so had been slightly worried as the votes were coming in that I wouldn't like Distress Signals. When you read my review that is up shortly, you will see how wrong I was to think that. What an amazing book, and its still worrying me a few days later! Thank you!

This week I am randomising from what I like to call my former freebies. These are books that I picked up at some point for Free on kindle, but just haven't read, as when I do allow myself a choice from my own books , and not the review pile, I tend to favour books I paid for, so these tend to get neglected which is of course a big shame, so hope to put it right today! 

Below is my initial theory for this feature, and then a bit further, what you are all waiting for... This weeks's vote! Enjoy!

I am also awful at deciding what book to read next, as I often have about 10 titles or authors jumping into my brain at any time, shouting at me to read them, and I tend to worry I have made the wrong decision while reading a perfectly good book. I am hoping this will save me having to make at least 1 choice a week, while possibly providing a review to the site of a book you all either love or are curious about yourselves. 

So what I am proposing, is my lovely loyal readers of Rachel's Random Reads, select one book for me to read a week, and I will post the review the following week. 

This weeks random numbers are...


And the books these numbers correspond to are...

So the 5 choices with my gut feeling responses are:



23 - Wedding Hells (Parker Sisters 0) by Jennifer Gilby Roberts - I've read one book previously by this author and really enjoy it. This one is the first of a series, I believe its a short story, so if this wins I will read the first proper book too, The Dr Pepper Prophecies. 
36 - The Cornish Affair by Laura Lockington - Another author I have read in the past and enjoyed, and I do like books set in Cornwall, so this could be interesting. 
47 - Bon Voyage by Michelle Betham - Regular readers of this blog know how much I tend to enjoy Michelle Betham's books, so hoping Bon Voyage will be equally good. 
72 - Hot Property (The Kerry Series book 1) by Susanne O'Leary - This is starting to feel repetitive as this is another author I do tend to like, I don't recall much about this series though, but as its book 1 we could all learn together!
74 - Talk Me Down by Victoria Dahl - I can't remember anything about this book, so if you actually read this section and feel like surprising me, this could be the one to pick! 

All I know from this selection is there is a fairly strong chance I will enjoy whichever you pick for me, given I have enjoyed books by 4 out of 5 of the authors in the past, and they are all books in my go to genres. These may be books that haven't got the largest profiles out there, but please even if you haven't heard of any, just name the one you would perhaps be curious about. 

Pick your favourite or the one you most want me to review, or just the one you are curious about, and leave me a comment below, before midnight on Wednesday. 

I look forward to seeing what I will be reading over the weekend, courtesy of you all.

The explanation if you haven't seen the feature before. 


How is this going to work?

Every Monday, I am going to have a post like this, which is going to have some choices on it. I am planning on using random.org to select 7 random numbers, to coincide with my spreadsheet of unread books.  

I will from that produce a list of hopefully 5 books, I reserve the right to veto any books, and will give reasons for them, if it occurs.

I will take screenshots and post them, of the chosen books, and also give you my instinctive reactions to the choices (without checking blurbs or any other info about them, which could be interesting as there are probably many forgotten about books on my spreadsheet!). 

Your task is to post a comment on this post, with the book you would like me to read this week. At midnight on Wednesday I will take a tally of the votes and the book with the most, I will read and review for the following Monday, where you will also get a new choice post. 

In the event of a tie, I will chose which one appeals most, for the Monday review, and possibly try and read and review the other to appear when I can. 

I am hoping this will provide some variety to the books appearing, and will let me potentially read or discover some great authors that I have wanted to read but not got around to yet.

7 comments:

  1. Talk me down ... Read the blurb on GD it seems sassy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too chose a few of these free books when my kindle was new a couple of years ago. The Cornish Affair I totally adored but Bon Voyage was absolute tosh I'm afraid. Go for The Cornish Affair because it's funny and a little bit of romance with a great house in a wonderful location.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wedding Hells, I loved Dr Pepper Prophecies so this one gets my vote

    ReplyDelete
  4. Based entirely on where I am moving to it has to be 36 - The Cornish Affair by Laura Lockington plus it has a pretty cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Twitter:

    Jo Baines ‏@Biggestdog 1h1 hour ago
    @gilbster1000 Like the look of The Cornish Affair :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Twitter:

    Emma Crowley
    ‏@emthebookworm
    @gilbster1000 I've not heard of any of the books but Wedding Hells jumps out at me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Cornish Affair, sounds good (I think I'm a bit under the Poldark influence).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...