Wednesday 25 November 2015

Book Review - My Big Fat Christmas Wedding by Samantha Tonge - #CarinaChristmas

Amazon UK
Title: My Big Fat Christmas Wedding
Author: Samantha Tonge
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Carina
Publication Date: 15th October 2015
Rating: 5 Stars


Things don’t always run smoothly in the game of love…

As her Christmas wedding approaches, a trip back to snowy England for her ex’s engagement party makes her wonder if those are wedding bells she’s hearing in her mind, or warning bells. She longs for the excitement of her old London life – the glamour, the regular pedicures. Can she really give that all up to be…a fishwife?

There’s nothing for it but to throw herself into bringing a little Christmas magic to the struggling village in the form of a Christmas fair. Somewhere in amidst the sparkly bauble cakes and stollen scones, she’s sure she’ll come to the right decision about where she belongs…hopefully in time for the wedding…

My Big Fat Christmas Wedding is the standalone sequel to Game of Scones, perfect for fans of Lindsey Kelk and Debbie Johnson. Don’t miss the Christmas Wedding of the year!

Where on earth do I start? With the beautiful cover that I just don't tire of looking at? With my long awaited excitement to return to Taxos? With the knowledge that its a book that features Greece at Christmas? My curiosity as to what wonderful sounding flavours of scones would show up this time? I'm not sure, I can't pick, but I suspect you may be able to tell I was excited at this books announcement and I was 100% correct to be. 

As someone that loved Game of Scones earlier this year, and fell in love with the town of Taxos, as well as with Niko, I was delighted to see the sequel announced. For those of you worried, this will work as a standalone, but they are such pleasurable and reasonably easy reads, I can't see why you would't want to start at the beginning!

One of the many things I loved about this book, was the incredibly chatty style of writing, it really felt like Pippa was talking directly to you, even apologising to you, as times if she felt she was going on about things, which is a nice touch, and makes her feel very real, like someone you are sitting across a table from. 

Meeting up with the entirety of Niko's family again, was brilliant, especially Grandma, and catching up with your favourite villagers is always good. 

Then there is Henrik, Pippa's ex fiancee, who is back on Kos, for business, but also to invite Pippa and Niko to his engagement party, just a week before Pippa is due to get married herself.  It was this invite that gets Pippa wondering if she made the right decision uprooting her life to Greece, especially with the financial difficulties, or whether she would be happier earning a decent wage, amongst the glitz and glamour of London. 

So you can tell that it won't all be smooth sailing for Pippa and Niko, and despite me complete belief that we would be given the Christmassy happy ever after, there was a lot of drama during the book, that did have me wondering if my belief would be correct or not. 

 I mentioned that I had been curious about possible scone flavours and some of the ones that stood out to me were Stuffing flavour, Stollen flavour and scones decorated to look like baubles, which I can only imagine must be very pretty. 

Pippa's idea to create a Christmas fair in Taxos, with some English ideas as well as Greek ones, sounded wonderful, and I would have happily visited had I been there. Some great Christmas descriptions, and always good to see a town bound together on a project. 

My Big Fat Christmas Wedding combines lots of my favourite elements into one fabulous story - scones, Taxos, humour, drama, Christmas and weddings. And the mix is very enjoyable book, that is easy to read and will brighten you up at any time. 

Thanks so much to Carina and Netgalley for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 


For more #CarinaChristmas click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...