Wednesday 29 July 2020

Book Review - A Wish For Jinnie by Audrey Davis

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK

Title: A Wish For Jinnie
Author: Audrey Davis
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Author Supplied Copy
Publisher: Self Published
Publication Date: 22nd June 2020
Rating: 4 Stars

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR …

When Jinnie Cooper is dumped by her fiancé, and exiled to a job in an antiques shop in a sleepy Scottish village, little does she know a battered old lamp is about to shake up her life.

Genie Dhassim grants wishes. But he also wants a few of his own to come true. Letting him explore the outside world proves nerve-wracking as Dhassim has an uncanny knack of putting his pointy-slippered foot in it.

As Jinnie grows closer to her employer Sam, Dhassim discovers his time on earth is running out.

Can both Jinnie and Dhassim find true happiness? Or are those wishes that cannot be granted?

I have to say I was very curious about this book due to mention of a genie.  For like Jinnie, my knowledge of genies is limited to Aladdin, and well Dhassim is nothing like  Robbie Williams, or Trevor Dion Nicholas (West end production), apart from the fact you can't help liking him. 

The last thing Jinnie was expecting in her new start, was to take a liking to an old lamp, and have a genie living with her for a few months.  She also struggles to think of wishes, but when you have a genie as full in personality such as a Dhassim. 

Seeing Dhassim engage with the modern world is incredibly amusing, he seems to have a love of Spice Girls and Jennifer Aniston, which wasn't really to Jinnie's taste, but I was thinking send him over to me, we would have got on like a house on fire !

I enjoyed seeing Jinnie getting to know her village just outside Edinburgh, there are new friends to be made and multiple men that she could be interested in.  

We also get a few chapters from Jo's viewpoint, Jo who works in the local cafe and has a heart of gold, but a heart that also want  what it can't have.  I just can't help but wonder if she is going to appear in another book at some point. 

This is the first book I've read by Audrey Davis, and I really enjoyed her writing style, and the way the completely impossibly unreal being (the genie) felt like a regular character and that the magic of wishes felt relatively normal.  Although I will say one scene with Dhassim did have a certain romantic Disney song playing in my head, in a complete mirror of one scene from the film - when you read it I'm sure you will know what I'm talking about when it happens! 

A very entertaining story that lead me to spend an enjoyable afternoon reading it in my garden! 

Thank you to the author for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...