Friday 31 July 2020

Book Review - Summer at my Sister's by Emily Harvale


The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: Summer at my Sister's
Author: Emily Harvale
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley 
Publisher: Crescent Gate Publishing
Publication Date: 31st July 2020
Rating: 5 Stars

Twin sisters. One scorching summer. A bucketful of secrets.

Diana’s life is perfect. Her twin sister, Josie’s – not so much. But when secrets are revealed this summer, everything will change.

Diana has a rich and successful husband, two talented youngsters and an adorable dog. She always looks as if she’s stepped from the cover of a magazine. Her immaculate second home by the sea, for idyllic summers with her perfect family, was actually featured in one.

Josie has a messy, compact flat, dates, but not relationships, and she can’t even keep a houseplant alive. She moves from job to job, goes clubbing with her friends and often looks as if she’s fallen through a hedge.

Although Josie loves Diana deeply, each year she declines the invitation to spend the summer with her sister. Or any other family holiday. Because Josie has a secret.

But is Diana’s life so perfect? Or is she also hiding something? When secrets are revealed this summer, everything will change. Josie could finally have the life she’s always wanted … if she’s brave enough to take a chance.

This is the first book in my new series of standalone books set in Seahorse Harbour.

I love Seahorse Harbour and everyone who lives there.  This is yet another marvellous setting for a book from the imagination of Emily Harvale.   I would happily go on holiday there, if not live in the harbour, its such a great sounding place. 

And I love the various seahorse protection activities that go on in the harbour too.  Oh and the 3 incredibly fit guys - we have Mikkel, Asher and Liam - and I really wasn't sure based on first impressions who would be the key one. 

I always enjoy losing myself into an Emily Harvale novel and this is no exception, and I'm pretty sure had real life not got in the way that I'd have read it in a day, it is a lovely summer read, and all the characters are just so realistic. 

Henry had me charmed from the first scenes he appeared in and always raised a grin with his antics!   I do love a four legged friend.  Josie isn't as keen initially on this rather large dog, but  she has agreed to spend the summer with twin sister Diana. 

As the story progresses we learn just why it is Josie hasn't been back to Seahorse Harbour since she was a teen,  just what it is that is troubling Diana, and just why their mum and aunt Elsie haven't been speaking in recent years. 

There are plenty of secrets to come out, as the bond between the sisters grows, as does Josie's love of her niece and nephew who she didn't really know that well.  I loved Becca's part to play in the story and her best friend Orla, showing just how sweet teen love is. 

There is so much going on in this book I wouldn't be able to even hope to hint at it all, and its so much fun reading it for yourself. 

If you enjoy relatable characters, a fabulous small town setting, and some relationships that will keep you on your toes, with character growth too - then this is definitely coming highly recommended from me.  I loved it, and can't wait for the next Seahorse Harbour book this Christmas.  

Thank you to the author for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this fantastic, 5 star review, Rachel. I'm delighted you loved it. You've made my day. I hope you and your readers have a wonderful day.
    Love, Emily xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...