Friday 10 July 2020

Book Review - The Backpacking Bride by Janice Horton

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK

Title: The Backpacking Bride
Author: Janice Horton
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: One More Chapter
Publication Date: 10th July
Rating: 5 Stars

When her walk up the aisle leads to disaster Maya Thomas must forge a new path…

Saying ‘I Do’ was meant to be the start of her greatest adventure, but when Maya’s fiancé drops dead just moments before he’s set to kiss the bride, her life is spent spinning out of control.

Now, as Maya travels a path she never expected to take, setting off on the mystery honeymoon her fiancé had planned for them, she finds that there is life after loss, that fate has its own way of helping you heal and that those with the courage to grasp love will never go lonely…

I believe Janice Horton is fast becoming one of my favourite armchair travel authors, and this is a wonderful addition to her Backpacking Housewife series. 

Although this time we have a Backpacking Bride, who is determined to go on the magical mystery tour of a honeymoon her fiancee Jon had planned for her, despite the fact he died suddenly before he could say I do on his wedding day. 

Maya though has always wanted to travel but has barely ever gone further than Scotland, so although distraught, decides to take the trip to honour Jon and make her feel closer to him. 

This is an adventure that crosses multiple Asian countries, and the level of detail if phenomenal. I felt as though I was in the Ashram with Maya (although I have no intention of ever visiting one myself),  and her initial thoughts of Hong Kong matched so closely with the memories I have of an even shorter time in the country. 

We are treated to the sights, smells, scenery, sounds and sensations of each place she visits along with some new friends she meets and connects with, including some other backpacking brides! 

It is fabulous to see how her initial thoughts of a place alter, and just how baffling her first destination must have seemed when she has never been anywhere remotely like it in her life. 

This is just a wonderful story of well fate, of following your heart and of coming to terms with a horrific situation. It's a journey of growth and discovery for Maya with a perhaps surprising outcome. 

What may not come as a surprise to you is when I say I want more, I want more from Maya, and I really hope a direct sequel is written as I would love to know what happens after the exhilarating ending to this book. 

I always love reading Janice Horton's books on holiday, and although I clearly wasn't going anywhere this year, it still was a very enjoyable sunny day in the garden, during lockdown sort of a book, where you are able to escape and join a virtual journey.  What more could you ask for?

Thank you to One More Chapter and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for reading and reviewing The Backpacking Bride Rachel. I'm thrilled you enjoyed Maya's story - and I'm excited to read your review today - on publication Day! Love, Janice xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...