Friday 21 May 2021

Book Review - The Cornish Midwife by Jo Bartlett

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Cornish Midwife
Author: Jo Bartlett
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Boldwood Books
Publication Date: 15th April
Rating: 4 Stars

Welcome to the beautiful seaside town of Port Agnes.

A fresh start…

Midwife Ella Mehenick left the small Cornish town of Port Agnes for London and never looked back. But when her seemingly perfect life crashes down around her, there’s only one place she can heal her battered heart - the place she once called home.

A new arrival…

Ella is quickly welcomed into the small community midwife team and loves her new job caring for mums and their precious babies – it’s what she does best! But being back also means facing ex-flame Dan Ferguson…the first man to break her heart.

A second chance at love?

Dan is still as gorgeous as ever, but he’s never forgiven Ella for leaving. And now she’s back it’s clear that there is unfinished business between them. As Ella settles into her new/old life, she can’t stop the memories of how she once loved Dan so completely – and maybe never stopped.

Maybe coming home to Cornwall is Ella's chance to love again…

Meet The Cornish Midwives of Port Agnes- where community, friendship and love are always delivered.

An uplifting and escapist read, perfect for fans of Christie Barlow, Jessica Redland and Holly Martin!

It has been a good few years since I last read a Jo Bartlett book but I seemed to recall enjoying my previous experiences of her writing, so to see she had a new release and signed with one of my favourite publishers, well I was hardly going to ignore it. 

And I'm so glad I did decide to read it, from the first chapter I felt rather comforted by the writing style. I can't put my finger on what it was, but  it felt familiar and warm, and almost like I was coming home.  The fact the first chapter was full of drama possibly helped too. 

In fact just due to Ella being a midwife, there is a fair bit of drama involved in this book as let's face it babies have a mind of their own when it comes to when they want to enter the world, and giving birth never sounds like the simplest of things either. 

And Port Agnes the Cornish setting for this gorgeous book, was just perfect.  I loved the sense of community there, even if Ella isn't as keen on it, given the circumstances of her own homecoming. She perhaps would have preferred a bit more anonymity than she has. 

I really loved getting to know the other midwifes in the unit where Ella is working temporarily, as well her her catching up with old friends and loves.  

I get the feeling that this may be the first of a series, in which case I can't wait to see which of the midwifes we get to know better next, as well as more of Port Agnes. 

And any book that gives me a brand new book boyfriend to fall in love with, is a winner in my eyes, and there is definitely one rather stunning candidate in this novel for that role! I'll miss him! 

This is a fabulous book to read on a bright and sunny day in a garden, or well anywhere! Thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Thank you to Boldwood Books and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

1 comment:

  1. Great Review! I really enjoy books set in Cornwall.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...