Friday 14 May 2021

Book Review - The Players by Darren O'Sullivan

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Players
Author: Darren O'Sullivan
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: HQ
Publication Date: 13th May 2021
Rating: 5 Stars

In this game it’s kill or be killed
‘Saw meets I See You. Dark, twisted and deadly’ CL Taylor

A stranger has you cornered.
They call themselves The Host.
You are forced to play their game.
In it one person can live and the other must die.

You are the next player.
You have a choice to make.

What a sick and twisted mind Darren O'Sullivan must have. But with it complete and utter brilliance, and also makes you think, for at the centre of it is a moral dilemma. 

If you were playing the game this "host" was making people play, just what would you do, would you kill or be killed. And if neither of you play, then you will both either be killed or your loved ones will be.  It's an impossibly decision, and yet it's the basis of what the host does with his players. 

There are many points of view in this book, and we get to see the host's motivations but I couldn't work out who it was.  There are moments that make you gasp, others that are incredibly moving and emotional.  And then there is also DI Karen Holt, who is currently suspended but somehow ends up involved in the case, regardless of what danger it may put herself and her loved ones in. 

Karen appears to be on a mission to self destruct but you can also see why she is a fabulous police woman, and how clever her thinking is at times. She is our main character as such, and is determined to stop the host. 

So much I'd love to say but I really don't want to give the game away. Some of the dilemmas are horrific, and the more you get into the story, the more you can't put the book down.  It's addictive but it also plays on your mind if you aren't reading it. 

And honestly if I was put into a similar position to the players, I am not sure what I would do, and I hope I never have to find out either. 

There is a apparently known ethical problem that forms part of the heart of this book, and its referred to and explained a lot.  It was fascinating and I the weird thing is I could kind of understand what the host was trying to prove, and on discovering what caused them to act like this, it made sense but it is still truly evil. 

This is the first book I've read by Darren O'Sullivan,  it only really came to my attention during the HQ showcase for their upcoming releases and something about the blurb captured my interest and meant I knew I had to read it.  And just wow, this is one supremely talented author and this is one insanely gripping book. 

As some point I will have to go and read this author's back catalogue as I suspect I'll be very impressed, and I'm definitely even after 1 book now a fan and eagerly awaiting to see what this insanely talented man will come up with next. 

Thank you to HQ and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...