Thursday 27 May 2021

Book Review - The Summer Seekers by Sarah Morgan

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Summer Seekers
Author: Sarah Morgan
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: HQ
Publication Date: 27th May 2021
Rating: 5 Stars

Kathleen is eighty years old. After a run-in with an intruder, her daughter wants her to move into a residential home. She’s not having any of it. What she craves – needs – is adventure.

Liza is drowning under the daily stress of family life. The last thing she needs is her mother jetting off on a wild holiday, making Liza dream of a solo break of her own.

Martha is having a quarter-life crisis. Unemployed, unloved and uninspired, she just can’t get her life together. But she knows something has to change.

When Martha sees Kathleen’s advert for a driver and companion to take an epic road trip across America, she decides this job might be the answer to her prayers. Travelling with a stranger? No problem. She's not the world's best driver, but it couldn’t be worse than living with her parents again. And anyway, how much trouble can one eighty-year-old woman be?

As these women embark on the journey of a lifetime, they all discover it’s never too late for adventure…

Sarah Morgan's books never fail to cheer me up, and transport me away from the reality of my life and this was it turns out the perfect book for me to read while I was battling with Covid vaccination side affects. 

I was able to lose myself within the pages and didn't feel as ill as I was generally feeling while I was reading the story, 

And it's such a feel good book about three generations of women, and one epic road trip along Route 66. 

We have Kathleen who is 80 and is used to a life of travel and adventure and has decided she wants what could be her last big adventure, one she has been putting off but always wanted to do, which is to travel along Route 66, in a mustang. 

However she no longer drives so advertises for someone who is willing to do the driving and settles on Martha who is 25 and very happy to leave her life behind for the summer to take this trip, even if she isn't entirely honest about her driving ability.  Martha is though a tonic and she is so bright and chatty, that you know she will add colour to the trip. 

And then there is Liza, Kathleen's daughter, who is going through a bit of a marriage crisis, while also worrying a lot about her mother who she isn't particularly close to and isn't to thrilled at the thought of her going off on a road trip with a stranger. 

I loved the alternating focuses on the three characters, for Kathleen has a big secret from her past which we will get to see be uncovered,  Martha really need to gain some confidence in her life choices, after years of feeling second best to her sister, and Liza needs to re-discover herself in a role that isn't a wife and mother. 

And I loved the road trip itself, and got a feel for the various places along the route, and kind of wish I had been in the car with them.  In part because it would mean I was travelling again, and also because it really is a once in a life time trip. 

There was just such a great dynamic between Kathleen and Martha, and I loved the way that Liza was able to develop over the course of the book too. 

The Summer Seekers is another in a very long line of simply impressively enjoyable and fabulous books from Sarah Morgan.  Although Kathleen would probably tell me off for too much hyperbole for that last sentence! However I don't care as it's completely true, it's another wonderful book from one of of my favourite auto read authors! 

Thank you to HQ and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

1 comment:

  1. I've heard many good things about this book, and it looks like something I would enjoy. I love to read books where the characters travel. And I live close to Route 66, so that always interests me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...