Tuesday 25 May 2021

Book Review - The Italian Escape by Catherine Mangan

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Italian Escape
Author: Catherine Mangan
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Sphere
Publication Date: 29th April 2021
Rating: 4 Stars

Sparkling sea, sun, delicious food and Aperol Spritz - escape to Italy with the perfect summer romance . . .

Niamh Kelly's life hasn't turned out quite as she'd expected. She's thirty-three, still living at home and was recently dumped . . . by her boss. So when her sister invites her to tag along on a work trip to the sun-drenched Italian coast, Niamh jumps at the chance, eager to escape into a world of sparkling prosecco, delicious food, and breath-taking beaches.

Upon her arrival, Niamh immediately falls in love with the beautiful Italian town they're staying in and realises she never wants to leave, deciding instead to stay and open up a quaint coffee shop nestled in charming old town streets - even if she has no idea what she's doing. But when a family tragedy and a tricky tourist season threaten her new business, Niamh isn't so sure she can stick it out.

With help from her new-found Italian friends - and the possibility of romance on the horizon - can she make her new life in the sun a success?

A glorious and uplifting escapist novel set against the stunning backdrop of the Italian coast. The perfect holiday read for fans of Rosanna Ley, Rachel Hore and Karen Swan

A really encouraging and solid debut that transported me to the Liguria region of Italy, via Ireland.  

Oh I do love Irish Womens Fiction authors, and I think Catherine Mangan could be one to watch as she develops. 

I found myself wondering after the first few chapters whether I was going to be able to get on with Niamb as a main character, as she seemed so miserable, and wasn't really displaying much personality at all, but once her sister Grace offers her the chance to go to Italy with her, and we get to Italy the book picks up. 

From then I was really rooting for Niamh, and really enjoying the person that she starts to become.  I loved seeing places like Portofino through her eyes, and it was all really well described. 

And then Niamh makes a brave rather out of character decision at which point I was hooked and couldn't get enough of the book, and all the first bit of the book, really made sense, as without it the contrast just would be there. 

There are elements of life in a small Italian town that were so interesting and I loved all the new friends Niamb made, her attempts at communicating, and I honestly at one point wasn't completely positive who the love interest was going to be, although I'm very happy with the ending! 

This I feel would make great garden reading while wanting be transported away from your own life for a while, and I'm very curious as to what the author will write next. 

Thank you to Sphere and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

2 comments:

  1. I always love a book where I can be transported away. And Ireland and Italy are 2 of my favorite places to go. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for continuing to support my blog. So glad you are enjoying my reviews, and also love being transported away in fiction.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...