Monday 24 May 2021

Book Review - The Single Mum's Book Club by Victoria Cooke

 The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.

Amazon UK

Title: The Single Mum's Book Club
Author: Victoria Cooke
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: HQ Digital
Publication Date: 30th April 2021
Rating: 5 Stars

Three friends, three single mums, one quest to find love…
It’s 8:30am and I’m already utterly exhausted. My son has lost his football boots, my daughter is ready for school dressed only in her vest and knickers, and of course, my 1-year-old has filled his nappy for what feels like the tenth time this morning.

As for my husband? He’s decided marriage doesn’t suit him, and well… buggered off.

All hope of ‘me time’ has but dwindled to sipping half a glass of wine whilst shouting after the kids. But everything is about to change.

I’m taking control of my life! I’ve joined… a book club.

Yes, I know what you’re thinking. ‘Wow… live a little.’ But my fellow book clubbers, Amanda and Janey, are my lifelines. They understand the daily struggle because they’re mothers too.

And in between the prosecco, Doritos and googling everything about Mr Darcy on SparkNotes, they’ve convinced me to go on a date with my boss.

A single mum of three looking for romance… what could possibly go wrong?

A gloriously funny and relatable read for anyone who just needs a little more ‘me time’. Fans of Why Mummy Drinks and Has Anyone Seen my Sex Life? will snort with laughter at this utterly hilarious and heart-warming read.

Hilarious from the first few pages and it hooked me in instantly. 

Stephanie is a single mum to three children, her ex husband is being unreasonable at times, and she continually is struggling to do everything and has money woes. 

She's been out of work for many years looking after the kids, and now suddenly is trying to get a job, and succeeds at a vet in the next town over, to do their books, and meets Edward. 

Edward must be one of the most adorable men I've come across for a long while. He has such a great awkwardness about him, but also has a heart of gold. And frankly any man that seems to love animals and children is ok by me! 

Stephanie is though at a low point when Janey finds her in the supermarket, and although they have been neighbours for a while, they had never really spoken and soon a firm friendship forms, in addition to a book club of sorts. 

I loved Stephanie's children and dog, and actually almost all of the characters featured.   This is a light hearted fun escapist read, that was just really entertaining.  

And I can't help but think that if you are a mother, or single mum, then you will get even more recognition from some of the situations and feelings, than I could.   

There is also a slightly more serious storyline regarding Stephanie's mother, her passing (when she was a child, and not in the way you may expect) and the impact that has had on her life, which added another dimension to this book and made if even more well rounded. 

Full of Victoria Cooke's trademark humour, not the most obvious of love interests, an engaging writing style and believable and relatable to storylines and characters, this was a joy to read.  Perfect for an afternoon in the garden, and to take you away from real life for a few hours. 

Thank you to HQ Digital and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the cover, and the premise. Thanks for your review, it certainly looks like a book I would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...