Monday 2 November 2015

Book Review - Wish Upon A Star by Sarah Morgan - Rachel Reads Randomly Book #6


Amazon UK
Title: Wish Upon A Star
Author: Sarah Morgan
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Mills & Boon
Publication Date: 7th October 2011
Rating: 4.5 Stars


Love is in the air this Christmas!

Christy was hoping to skip Christmas this year. Her kids have other ideas – they’ve put their dad’s name at number one on their Christmas list. So it looks as if Christy will be hightailing it up to the Lake District to play happy families with her ex! Snow-capped mountains and roaring log fires – Alessandro’s home is like walking into a Christmas card. Is it really safe for her to spend Christmas with her dreamy, funny – no! – entirely infuriating ex-hubby?

Miranda has completely the opposite problem. Being single and pregnant at Christmas was certainly not her wish come true. She doesn’t believe in miracles, but then resident hunk Jake sweeps her off her snow-covered shoes. Come Boxing Day dare she dream that Mr Sex-on-Legs might be for more than just Christmas?

Wish Upon A Star is a book with two separate stories, Christy's and Mirandas. They have a location and one character mainly in common but they are very different stories, but both really enjoyable.  

Christy's story features Christmas as the heart of it, as all her kids want is for them to go home, and back to Alessandro, in the Lake District, for Christmas. She reluctantly agrees, but for the children's sake more than anything. Once back she is called into action alongside Alessandro, as an A&E nurse, a role she gave up when she had Ben, and it starts make Alessandro realise things about Christy's life. 

Ben and Katy, hatch a small series of stunts to try and get their parents sleeping in the same bed again, and I was very impressed with Katy. She may only be 11 but is incredibly observant, and old beyond her years would suggest.

There is hot simmering chemistry between Alessandro and Christy which they spend more time denying than exploring, but the sex scenes were hot and enjoyable!

I was aware that Sarah Morgan has written medical romances in the past, but hadn't read any, I now know for certain, that I would love them, the way I love her other books, as Wish Upon A Star has doctors, nurses and supporting staff as the starring characters, and the hospital scenes in both parts of the book, drew me in and really engaged me. It's been many years since I last read a Mills & Boon medical romance, and I have no idea why. Turns out I still really enjoy the sub genre. 

 The second story is more gentle, and a lot less festive. It starts on Christmas Day, where Miranda is rescued by Jake (Jake is godfather to Katy, and works alongside Alessandro and Christy at both the hospital and on the mountain rescue team), and there seems to be a connection between them at least on Jake's side  intially. 

Miranda is a midwife, and Jake is an obstetrician and are a great team working together, and some of the deliveries had me holding me breath, praying that everyone was ok. 

Oddly I think the most fascinating aspect of Wish Upon A Star was the mountain rescue team. I've not encountered one of those before, and seeing them in action, especially on how they get a stretcher down a mountain is impressive, and very detailed. 

Although I didn't get a very Christmassy vibe from the majority of the book, despite its pretty cover, implying as much, it is still a very enjoyable book, with two contrasting stories, that I loved equally. I may have said it before, I'm sure I will say it again, I love Sarah Morgan's books and get more impressed with each one I have read. 

Thank you everyone for voting for Wish Upon A Star. It was a narrow winner in a closely fought vote, and I loved not having even an inkling until I counted up which had won. You have impressive taste, as this was a great book, and I look forward to seeing which of my Christmas books you will select for me to read this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...