Thursday 5 November 2015

Guest Post - Social Media Addiction! #PleaseRetweet by Emily Benet

A week? A month? A YEAR?

I'd be horrified to know how much of my life I've spent scrolling through Facebook... and Twitter... and more recently, Instagram. But if it wasn't for all this faffing about on my social networks, I would never have decided to write #PleaseRetweet.  

My new novel, a romantic comedy, (arguably more com than rom), is about May Sparks, a social media whizz kid, employed to look after the online profiles of C-list celebrities. Specifically the loose cannons, who can't keep their emotions in check and end up offending and insulting half the planet every time they're let loose online. May pretends to be each one of her clients, switching between networks and personalities every minute of the day. The only way she can keep up is by being surgically attached to her phone, which doesn't go down too well with her friends and relationships in her real life.

In a recent author questionnaire I was asked, Did you go on any exciting research trips for this book? 
I laughed out loud. Oh yes, I've been all around the world for this book. Scrolling through Instagram photos does count, doesn't it? It's just I follow a lot of travel photographers. I don't think you get that kind of escapism on other social networks. 

No, is the short answer. My research has included just a high dosage of social media. I've been blogging for seven years, run social media workshops and, as mentioned, I have misspent hours of my life clicking on cute animal videos and taking completely pointless quizzes. I think it qualifies me to write a book on social media obsession, don't you?

For anyone who is a little bit addicted to their phones this book is for you. I really hope it makes you laugh - because that's one of my main missions as a writer! 

Oh. And if you like it, go on, #PleaseRetweet! ;) 

Thank you so much Emily. I loved #PleaseRetweet when I read it earlier this year (review can be found here) and am delighted to say that it is being published in paperback today.

About Emily Benet

Emily Benet is a half Welsh - half Spanish Londoner, now living on the beautiful island of Mallorca. Wherever she's lived her passion for writing has followed.

Her debut book Shop Girl Diaries began as a blog about working in her Mum's eccentric chandelier shop. It won the CompletelyNovel Author Blog Awards at the London Book Fair.

Her second book, a romantic comedy called The Temp, also began its life online, as a serialised novel on Wattpad and racked up two million hits under its original title Spray Painted Bananas. It led to her signing with MBA agency and a two book deal with Harper Collins imprint Harper Impulse. #PleaseRetweet is her latest book.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...