Thursday 1 February 2018

Book Review - The Little Cafe in Copenhagen by Julie Caplin

Amazon UK
Title:  The Little Cafe in Copenhagen
Author: Julie Caplin
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Harper Impulse
Publication Date: 1st February 2018
Rating: 5 Stars


Welcome to the little cafe in Copenhagen where the smell of cinnamon fills the air, the hot chocolate is as smooth as silk and romance is just around the corner…

‘An irresistible combination of Danish happiness and hygge in one un-put-down-able story’Sunday Times bestseller Katie Fforde
Publicist Kate Sinclair’s life in London is everything she thought she wanted: success, glamour and a charming boyfriend. Until that boyfriend goes behind her back and snatches a much sought-after promotion from her.Heartbroken and questioning everything, Kate needs to escape.

From candles and cosy nights in to romantic late-night walks through the beautiful cobbled streets of Copenhagen, Kate discovers how to live life ‘the Danish way’. Can the secrets of hygge and happiness lead her to her own happily-ever-after?

2018 has so far been fabulous in terms of some of the books I have been reading and at the time of writing its only been 13 days into the year! The Little Cafe in Copenhagen is another book that all I want to do is tell you to buy it and read it. 

This is a warm hug of a book that wrapped me up so tightly on a cold winters day and wouldn't let me go with its undeniable brilliance, and look at Hygge and just what it means.  

I'll admit what drew me to this wonderful story initially was the cover, the title and discovering that Julie Caplin is the always talented Jules Wake writing under a new name. I don't think I even read the blurb for the first time until just before I started reading. 

So colour me impressed when instead of your typical cafe book that happened to be in Copenhagen, there was so much more to this story.  In fact the cafe in question run almost single-handedly by Eva, who epitomises Hygge was warm, cosy and had a rather homely feel to it.  There were danish pastries amongst the various food served there, but it was the atmosphere that hooked not just me but Kate and the journalists on her press trip. 

Kate is our heroine of the book, she is shafted by her about to be ex-boyfriend for a promotion, and is asked to work on an account for a new Danish statement department store to be opened in London, without anyone expecting her to land the business. 

Thankfully Lars, Eva's son, loves how quickly Kate understands the basics of Hygge and invites her and some journalists on a press trip. Well anyone that knows me, knows I love a holiday and a good amount of the story was set in Copenhagen, visiting various attractions and learning just why it is Denmark is the happiest nation. 

I loved the various journalists on the trip who were a complete mix of characters  and all seemed to gain something from the week away.  I loved touring Copenhagen with the group, and if you didn't know before hand you would after reading that its a city for real foodies.  There is a lot of food mentioned, a lot of it not really what i would want to eat but Kate and the others assured me that it is delicious! 

It is clear that was a lot of research poured into the detailed description of the city, and made me feel as though I was there alongside the characters. 

The book is split into 3 distinct parts and I read the first part without pausing for breath with lunch. Then I unfortunately needed to stop and do some work and a couple of hours later the pull of the book was so much that I decided sitting down and reading the other 80% was in fact my top priority and I'm so glad I made that decision. 

I didn't notice the % meter on my kindle creeping up, I was so absorbed in the whole of this story.  I am already looking forward to the next Julie Caplin release, and can't recommend this book enough to anyone that wants to read a story that will lift their mood and make you feel like you are hanging out with old friends, while being so absorbing that you have to just sit back and enjoy it.  

So put a couple of nice items surrounding you, light a couple of candles (carefully), grab yourself some wienerbrød (danish pastries) or other snacks and sit back and enjoy your new book. You will be glad you did! 

Thank you to Netgalley and Harper Impulse for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...