Monday 5 February 2018

Rachel Reads Randomly - Vote #86


 
Thank you everyone for your input last time. The results of the last vote were:

0 Votes -  Chasing Venus by Diana Dempsey
1 Votes - I'm Dreaming of a Wilde Summer by Rhona T Pinkleton
3 Votes  - Some Girls Do by Clodagh Murphy
5 Votes - Her Husband's Lover by Julia Crouch
5  Votes - While My Eyes Were Closed by Linda Green

Well it was a tie this week, between two psychological thrillers, so I went with the Linda Green purely as I have read the author before, and was curious how her first book on the darker side as such, turned out.  Really did enjoy the story, and at some point I will read the Julia Crouch too. 

So this year I've decided instead of changing what part of the TBR I randomise each week, I'm going with at least until I get bored books released in the current month - so for the next few weeks all the options will be books released in February - that is February from whatever year they were published! (At least based on the publication date I put on my master spreadsheet). Should give all books a few chances to get picked over a year and be slightly quicker for me to set up!  

Below is my initial theory for this feature, and then a bit further, what you are all waiting for... This weeks's vote! Enjoy!

I am also awful at deciding what book to read next, as I often have about 10 titles or authors jumping into my brain at any time, shouting at me to read them, and I tend to worry I have made the wrong decision while reading a perfectly good book. I am hoping this will save me having to make at least 1 choice a week, while possibly providing a review to the site of a book you all either love or are curious about yourselves. 

So what I am proposing, is my lovely loyal readers of Rachel's Random Reads, select one book for me to read a week, and I will post the review the following week. 

This week's random numbers are...



And the books these numbers correspond to are...


So the 5 choices with my gut feeling responses are:



4 - In Her Wake by Amanda Jennings - Thoroughly enjoyed the last book that won a vote of hers, The Sworn Secret, and I recall seeing great reviews for In Her Wake, hence buying it. 
12 - Loveandpizza.it by Daniela Pesconi-Arthur - I won this e-book in a competition and I know it features Naples and Pizza and I believe is a rom com. 
33 - The Wedding Caper by Laura Briggs  - This is a first book in a series of novellas from Laura Briggs. Regulars to my blog will know I love her Wedding in Cornwall series, and this is an author recently signed to Bookouture. 
42 - Cut Off by Mark Billingham - Unfortunately Mark Billingham had disappeared by the time I reached the front of the queue to get my copy signed at the Quick Reads launch on Thursday. Really enjoyed hearing him speak on the panel and he made his book sound like just my sort of thing. 
60 - The Last Laugh by Tracy Bloom - Huge fan of this author, and really looking forward to reading this book as and when I get a spare moment. 

Wowser that is a rather impressive line up and I think its impossible to choose between them. Couple of new authors for me, a few more familiar ones, a mix of genres and book lengths. Thankfully I get to leave it for you to all decide, and then I just read the most voted for one, so if you have an opinion, please do comment! 

And authors, if its your book up on this feature, feel free to take part, vote for yourself, or stir up excitement amongst your fans! 

Pick your favourite or the one you most want me to review, or just the one you are curious about, and leave me a comment below, before midnight on Wednesday. 

I look forward to seeing what I will be reading over the weekend, courtesy of you all. 

The explanation if you haven't seen the feature before. 

How is this going to work?

Every Monday, I am going to have a post like this, which is going to have some choices on it. I am planning on using random.org to select 7 random numbers, to coincide with my spreadsheet of unread books.  

I will from that produce a list of hopefully 5 books, I reserve the right to veto any books, and will give reasons for them, if it occurs.

I will take screenshots and post them, of the chosen books, and also give you my instinctive reactions to the choices (without checking blurbs or any other info about them, which could be interesting as there are probably many forgotten about books on my spreadsheet!). 

Your task is to post a comment on this post, with the book you would like me to read this week. At midnight on Wednesday I will take a tally of the votes and the book with the most, I will read and review for the following Monday, where you will also get a new choice post. 

In the event of a tie, I will chose which one appeals most, for the Monday review, and possibly try and read and review the other to appear when I can. 

I am hoping this will provide some variety to the books appearing, and will let me potentially read or discover some great authors that I have wanted to read but not got around to yet.

22 comments:

  1. I would suggest "In her wake" but it looks like a psychological thriller and I think you need a change of pace having just read one, so I'm voting for Loveandpizza.it because it sounds light and fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Twiter:

    Emma Crowley


    @emthebookworm
    3h3 hours ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    My vote this week is for Amanda Jennings - In Her Wake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Twitter:

    Ian Wilfred


    @Ianwilfred39
    3h3 hours ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    for me @PaperDollWrites ✔️

    ReplyDelete
  4. You haven't read In Her Wake?! Oh Rachel, it has to be that one...

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Facebook:

    Tara Lyons Ive only read In Her Wake, but throughly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Facebook:

    Nicola Smith I haven't read any of them but if they were my selection I'd go for In Her Wake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Facebook:

    Nicki Murphy The last laugh is a wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Facebook:

    Anne Cater In her Wake - without a doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Facebook:

    Nicola Parkinson Not read any but if it was my choice I'd go for In Her Wake

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Facebook:

    Eva Merckx Totally agree with Anne <-- In Her Wake

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Twitter:

    Tracy Bloom


    @TracyBBloom
    2m2 minutes ago
    More Tracy Bloom Retweeted Rachel Gilbey
    Well they all look amazing - but I know which one I would choose 😉

    ReplyDelete
  12. In her Wake is a terrific atmospheric read Rachel. I read it 2 yrs ago and it was utterly brilliant. Give that one a go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In Her Wake, still on my TBR pile but heard so many good things about this book

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adored In Her Wake so that’s the one that gets my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  15. From Facebook:

    Donna Maguire The Last Laugh for me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. From Twitter:

    Bernadette Maycock


    @BRMaycock
    10m10 minutes ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    Can I put in a vote for Tracy Bloom?! And enjoy whichever!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. In Her Wake is excellent and I highly recommend it. She has a new book out soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. From Twitter:

    Kiltie Jackson


    @KiltieJackson
    30s31 seconds ago
    More
    Replying to @gilbster1000
    In her Wake. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. From Twitter:

    LucilleGrant#FBPE


    @L_D_Grant
    5m5 minutes ago
    More
    Replying to @KiltieJackson @gilbster1000
    #InHerWake seconded

    ReplyDelete
  20. From Facebook:

    Bev Eaves In Her Wake or Cut Off for me. Would love to read both so would be nice to hear what your thoughts are.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...