Tuesday 9 July 2019

Book Review - Strings Attached by Erin Reinelt

The Amazon Purchase link below is an Amazon Affiliate link.
Amazon UK
Title: Strings Attached
Author: Erin Reinelt
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Trapeze
Publication Date: 11th July 2019
Rating: 4 Stars


Funny, feminist and empowering, Strings Attached is a liberating novel all about the highs and lows of modern dating.

Straight-laced Jean has always done what's expected of her - by her traditional parents, by her demonic boss, and by her overgrown baby of an ex-boyfriend - until now.

Taking her life into her own hands, she's pushing herself right out of her comfort zone, starting with her sex life. She will:
- Have a polyamorous love affair
- Date a pansexual couple
- Visit an orgasmic retreat
- Crash an exclusive sex party
She's going to be a woman heels-over-head, not head-over-heals, in love. A woman who screams YES!! to life.

But can relationships last without entangled hearts being broken? Jean is about to find out.

Now this is a tricky book to review, don't get me wrong for the most part I really enjoyed it, and there were elements of the story that I absolutely loved. 

Equally though there were some sections that I just didn't really understand at all, and some of the concepts were beyond my comprehension.  I didn't really let them get to me, just skimmed and moved onto the parts I was following.   Some of the feminist concepts, and theory behind some of the practices just wasn't for me. 

What was for me, was thoroughly loving Jean's story, having broken up with her drunk of a boyfriend, she goes on a journey of sexual liberation.  

One of the first things that really made me smile, was just a small mention of a nearby to Jean's club which to the unitiated could be seen as seedy - but it is one that I am familiar with, so was nice to see a real place name mention, that I never imagined I'd see in a book. 

In fact at times there were all manner of things that Jean was getting up to that I am rather intimately acquainted with, but I'm not going into any specifics! 

It was wonderful though for a book with a romantic relationship to deal with what could be seen as more progressive things - such as polyamory, pansexuals, multiple partner,s open relationships, an orgasmic retreat (I really do need to look up to see if these exist), and even a sex party. 

All the while that Jean is getting to know herself free from the confines of social norms, she is also working as a political PR, covering up for assorted sex scandals from MPs  - some of which I was eye rolling at, and others I really would have loved more details on! 

This is certainly a book with a difference, it does have friendships, it does have some sex, there is Jean's sister who is a breath of fresh air to any book that I've ever read,  and then there are her parents, who although we don't see much of, are an utter nightmare, and I couldn't help but feel sorry for Jean. 

I'd suggest go into this book with an open mind and you will almost certainly enjoy this rather refreshing story,  as much as I did! 

Thank you to Netgalley and Trapeze for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...