Wednesday 31 August 2016

Book Review - All Fall Down by Tom Bale

Amazon UK
Title: All Fall Down
Author: Tom Bale
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Bookouture
Publication Date: 1st September 2016
Rating: 3.5 Stars

You tried to save a life. Now you’re fighting to save your own.

It should have been an idyllic day for the Turner family – until a dying man, beaten beyond all recognition, arrives at their home, uttering the words, HELP ME. 

Rob and Wendy Turner and their children try to explain away the horrific scene as being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but in the days that follow their lives are threatened in ways they could never imagine. 

The family is unaware that they are being watched by someone with their own terrifying agenda, who will stop at nothing to fulfil their own twisted desires. 

But when hidden secrets come rushing to the surface, it’s clear not everything is as it seems in this happy family. Are the Turners a victim of circumstance – or does the key to their fate lie closer to home? 

Forced to fight for everything they hold dear, can they save themselves before time runs out – or will their act of compassion see them paying the ultimate price…? 

After devouring See How They Run earlier this year, and being incredibly impressed by it, I was hyping up All Fall Down in my mind, to be similarly amazing before I started it. However as I should know by now, hype is a dangerous thing and it only leads to disappointment. 

Unfortunately for the majority of this book I just didn't feel connected with the story, or the characters and or even when it was clear there is a huge amount of danger, I found myself not being worried, or scared, more oh well, never mind. 

I just found that the story for the most part didn't resonate with any part of my psyche, however it is a fabulous concept, the writing is certainly good, and there were sections where I did find the book utterly gripping, but they were few and far between. 

It certainly wasn't a story I was able to predict the outcome of, which I am very glad of, but did find myself wondering at times about the actions of the Turner family, and came to the conclusion I just didn't really care for most of them. 

That being said Josh, is clearly incredibly intelligent and a lot of his logic was a pleasure to read, and although I felt he wasn't great at social interaction, the dialogue he did get involved in, was to me one of my most enjoyable bits of the book. 

All Fall Down is a book that I'm sure is going to get a lot of praise and many people will love, however maybe due to way I'm wired, I just didn't feel it, and as a result can only look to the future and hope that the next book I read by Tom Bale, will be a more thrilling thriller, and will be back to being unputdownable for me. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...