Sunday 14 August 2016

Guest Post - June Moonbridge on Running - Booklympics





That’s definitely something that defines me.

I don’t run – except for two reasons:

  • If something is chasing me and I know I cannot fight it (believe me I’d rather choose fight than flight!)
or
  • after my children.
I never liked running, not even in school. I hated every athletic discipline where I had to run more than 200m at once. My PE teacher had seen potential in me but we never came together. I couldn’t be persuaded to start with training. It never mattered to me that I was pretty good at 100m and at the relay race. Running was not for me. It still isn’t.

To be brutally honest, on one hand I admire people who run, who find satisfaction in running. Those who says that running helps them clear their minds and that can come home relaxed afterwards. 

Gosh, I tried it. Several times. Stick to the point where I realised, I’m not them. I always came home exhausted, not so much physically than mentally. You have to understand that my mind works overtime. If it’s not occupied with some mental task, it always returns to solving/creating problems (more creating than solving that is). And that made me come home with my stress level bar set up even higher than before I left home.

On the other hand, I always thought: 800m? 5k? 10k? 42.195 kilometers – Marathon? – Gosh, are they nuts? What’s in it for them? Can’t they spend the time more ‘wisely’?

But then I sit back and remind myself – we are all different. Who am I to judge? At the end of the day - I might just be a bit envious – I would love to find such an ‘easy’ way for reducing the daily stress level. I haven’t found it – although I tried their way. It’s just not for me…

The only ‘’marathon’ I do – it’s the one we call life…

Thank you June for your very candid thoughts on running. I must say the opening graphic applies to me too, I try not to run for anything either. However I do love watching athletics, even if just watching makes me exhausted. Whenever I raced at school it was a foregone conclusion before the start of each race that I'd be last, in fact even as a young kid when I was allegedly faster I spent my time running but waving to anyone I recognised at Sports Day!

About June Moonbridge

June was born in June and she always loved the moon. She comes from Slovenia, a country which got its independence almost three decades ago.

She studied economics, and quickly realised she hated it. Afterwards, she found herself working in a mainly male-dominated businesses; at first in automotive and later steel products. She can choose the best steel for your project, but don't, please don't, ask her which lipstick brand you should use.

She started to write in high school and was criticised by her teacher. Stubborn as she is, that didn't stop her. Under different pen names, she had stories published in magazines, and then went on to publish three books.

After having two children, and learning that her second child has autism, she married their father and carried on working. Work and family life left her with little free time. But the desire to write didn't die. When life somehow sorted itself out, she decided to write a novel in English and her first submissions were rejected...

For what happened then, re-read the third paragraph, second sentence above...


At twenty-five, Desire Hart has experienced enough grief for a lifetime. 

Changing everything in her life - her identity, her hometown and her country of residence, Desire is determined that nothing will prevent her achieving from finding her missing son. Not even love. 
On a spring evening, she meets the golden boy of F1 racing, Lorcan Shore, and finds herself falling for him. Struggling to suppress her feelings, she realises he could help her get closer to the child she believes is her long lost son. 

But nothing goes according to plan. Her identity is revealed by the press, Lorcan has a terrifying accident, and the trail to her son finishes in another dead end. So Desire does what she does best - she runs away. 

Set against the glamorous backdrops of Monaco, Paris and Nice, ‘All That the Heart Desires’ mixes romance and mystery as Desire struggles to come to terms with her past. 
Will she learn to accept love into her life again?



1 comment:

  1. Thank you Rachel for the chance to write a Guest Post on your Booklympics.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...