Saturday 27 August 2016

Book Review - Made in Nashville by Mandy Baggot - Back Catalogue Books


Back Catalogue Books is my new regular Saturday feature, focusing on books that are not the latest releases. There is going to be a mix of Q&As and also reviews, depending on what I have the space for. 

If you are an author wanting to take part in Back Catalogue Books then please do email on gilbster at gmail dot com and I'll whizz the questions over to you. 


I hope everyone enjoys this weekly look back at some of the slightly older books that are about but still great, and that I eventually make a dent in my TBRs as a result of it! 

My back catalogue review this week is Made in Nashville by Mandy Baggot, which I read as part of a Summer Impulse readathon at the start of August. 


Amazon UK
Title: Made in Nashville
Author: Mandy Baggot
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Author supplied review copy
Publisher: Harper Impulse
Publication Date: 6th February 2014
Rating: 5 Stars

An on-stage attack left Honor Blackwood with more scars than just the one on her face. It's been ten years since she left her spot as Nashville's brightest country music star. Is now the time to return? And is she brave enough to do it?

Country rebel and rock star, Jared 'Jed' Marshall is hot property on the Tennessee music scene in more ways than one. He's wild, he's sexy and everybody wants a piece of him. But when he sets his sights on Honor, is it pure attraction or just distraction on his mind? 

Honor's record label sign the ex-boyfriend that dumped her and suddenly going back to her old life is harder than she thought. And when a secret from the past becomes public knowledge it's no longer just about the music. Are all the people in her life lying to her to get what they want? 

Join the country scene to find out! 

Made in Nashville - where the off-stage action's as hot as the music!

I'm still in disbelief that a little over a year ago, I had never read a Mandy Baggot book, and now I am slowly working my way through her back catalogue as well  as being keen to read her newest releases and every single time, I am astounded at the quality of the writing, the way she writes her leading characters, and in some cases the picture of the location that is built up. 

I am delighted to say that Made in Nashville is no exception to this. This is a fast paced roller coaster ride of a book, taking in the country music scene in Nashville, Tennessee. Now I don't know a lot about country music, but I would suggest that if you can read and listen to music simultaneously then to set up the suggested play list at the start of the book to really enhance your enjoyment of the book. Unfortunately I didn't and thats only because I knew if I started listening to music, I may have lost track of what I was reading, and I didn't want that!  

Honor Blackwood is a country singer who hasn't recorded or performed for 10 years, after she was attacked on stage at one of her concerts. Understandably it takes some getting over that, and now she has settled down to an ordinary life, and tries to ignore country music, despite it being part of her. However in a series of coincidences her manager tries to persuade her to return to produce new music for a Greatest Hits album, and current star Jed Marshall happens to hear her singing to herself and wants her to be the support act on his latest tour. 

All of this leaves Honor needing to make some very brave decisions, and I loved seeing her thought processes. I also loved how the view point alternated regularly even within chapters, between Jared (Jed) and Honor, allowing the reader to have a well rounded view of what is going on. 

There is a clear chemistry between Honor and Jed, and its wonderfully charming to see that Jed has been brought up with a respectful attitude toward women and with strong personal justice values that lead him into some sticky situations. 

Made in Nashville has a lovely story, which shows that true love doesn't run smoothly, and as we learn more about the main characters, some more in depth storylines are dealt with, within their back stories, which justs to my respect and love for both Honor and Jed. 

Thank you so much to Mandy Baggot for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Mandy! Fab author! Fab review, Rachel. Thanks for sharing! :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...