Tuesday 2 August 2016

Book Review - How To Hook A Husband by Sarah Harvey

Amazon UK
Title: How To Hook A Husband
Author: Sarah Harvey
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Manilla
Publication Date: 28th July 2016
Rating: 3 Stars



He's caught the bait, now it's time to reel him in...

When Belle returns home from backpacking for her best friend's wedding and catches the groom-to-be with another girl, the wedding is called off and Nicky is eternally grateful. 

Realising her friend has a talent for spotting men with a roving eye, Nicky puts her friend to work helping others and soon Belle is hanging out in bars and hiding in bushes, hoping to catch unsuspecting Casanovas. Then she is hired to follow the elusive Eddie Farrar and everything changes as Belle finds herself falling under his spell. Will she be able to resist his charms or is there more to him than it seems?

When I was younger, I read just about all of Sarah Harvey's books, I know I have them in my bedroom somewhere, so when I spotted How To Hook A Husband on Netgalley I was excited to see a new book by a much loved author.  

Now I liked this book, it was fun, had good sense of humor and was even if the storyline could be called predictable, I was still enjoying it, but felt it lacked the greatness of what I recall with rose-tinted glasses of previous efforts by the author. 

Still I stuck with the book, I was finding the characters to be a good mix, and as it was set in 2000, it was clearly about the practice now known as Honey-trapping. Belle is surprisingly good at spotting dodgy cheating men, until one specific target changes things. 

There was also one hilarious bedroom scene, which is probably the main scene I will take with me from this book, and I was almost laughing out loud along with the characters involved.  Another small moment that I liked was the mention of shopping in Kookai which is a brand I haven't even thought of for years, but I did love, in the late 90s. 

However imagine my absolute dismay when finishing the book, I discover it says that it was previously published as Fly-Fishing, in 2000 and that I had in fact read it probably 15 years ago. If you have read this author previously, then this is a reprint and rename, so please be warned. 

I suspect myself 15 years ago would have given this probably 4 or 5 stars, but I had of course at the time read a lot less books, and now on its own merits, I can say I did like the book, the author is certainly worth a look, but it just didn't work for me as it did back then. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Bonnier Zaffre for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...