Thursday 25 August 2016

Book Review - Saving Sophie by Sam Carrington

Amazon UK
Title: Saving Sophie
Author: Sam Carrington
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: 12th August 2016
Rating: 4 Stars


A teenage girl is missing. Is your daughter involved, or is she next?

Your daughter is in danger. But can you trust her?

When Karen Finch’s seventeen-year-old daughter Sophie arrives home after a night out, drunk and accompanied by police officers, no one is smiling the morning after. But Sophie remembers nothing about how she got into such a state.

Twelve hours later, Sophie’s friend Amy has still not returned home. Then the body of a young woman is found.

Karen is sure that Sophie knows more than she is letting on. But Karen has her own demons to fight. She struggles to go beyond her own door without a panic attack.

As she becomes convinced that Sophie is not only involved but also in danger, Karen must confront her own anxieties to stop whoever killed one young girl moving on to another – Sophie.

Saving Sophie is a taut thriller where although I was gripped and couldn't really  put it down, I also didn't feel any fear like I often do with a psychological thriller, nor did I have any theories running through my head as I was reading it as to what really happened. 

There are some shocks and surprises but nothing that really made me gasp out loud, or make me catch my breath. 

The story is told by three view points, one of which is very unreliable in terms of information, one of the others is a character I should have sympathy with but just couldn't find it, and the other was the police which I did really enjoy. 

Sophie is returned home one evening by the police quite early, appearing drunk and out of it. In the morning she has no recollection of the night before, but her best friend is missing. Her mother Karen is agoraphobic and suffers all sorts of anxieties, and comes up with all sorts of theories about what happened that night. 

Saving Sophie is a strong debut novel by Sam Carrington that I managed to read in an evening. It held my attention at all times, and had a narrative that retained my interest while building a good picture in my mind.  I'll be very happy to keep an eye on this talented author to see what they come up with next. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Avon for this review copy. This was my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...