Saturday 6 August 2016

Guest Post - My Husband's Balls by Sue Watson - Booklympics

I wanted to take part in Rachel’s Olympic celebration because I hate sport and I’m rubbish at it. I haven’t lifted a ball, a racquet or a bat for many years – come to think of it I haven’t lifted my bottom off the sofa for a while either. But I digress, I wanted to feel part of Rachel’s sporty celebration because I’ve never felt part of anything sporty – I was always the last one to be picked for netball at school. And when a team was ‘forced’ to have me as a member they always found me a position that involved being about 3 miles away from the action – they called it ‘fielding,’ but they didn’t fool me. So as I couldn’t offer any of my own sporting life to this Olympic Special, I would like to offer my husband’s various sized balls. 

We married 21 years ago and in a cruel twist of fate he’s as obsessed by sport as I’m repelled by it. He was sports captain at school, still plays cricket and football and when he’s not on a pitch he’s watching various balls flying through nets on the TV screen at home. 


It doesn’t matter what time it is, what season or what country it might be, but my husband can always find balls to watch on a screen. Often he listens to the radio, watches TV and follows Twitter all at the same time when his ‘ball schedule’ is packed. He calls this ‘a multi-media sporting activity,’ but I call it BORING on every platform! 

And my husband’s balls aren’t just limited to a screen, even our ‘romantic’ weekends away are dictated by the football fixtures (a last tango in Swindon anyone?) He found a football match on a beach in Greece, a cricket match in a car park at a recent wedding and all our holidays in the US are an odyssey of baseball stadiums with some bits of holiday squeezed in between.

So to celebrate this year’s Olympics, and in the spirit of good sportsmanship I give you husband’s balls!

Thank you so much Sue Watson for this fabulously entertaining post, I loved hearing all about your husband's balls (and I promise this is the only post of the Booklympics with a subject that could be grossly misinterpreted!)

About Sue Watson 


Sue Watson was a TV Producer with the BBC who combined motherhood and family life with a busy career. However, one day it dawned on Sue that Cosmo magazine may have been telling porkies about 'having it all,' and her life had become a slightly crazed juggling act. 

So after much soul searching (and comfort eating) Sue abandoned her TV career, bought a pink laptop and wrote 'Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes.' It was then Sue realised she couldn't stop writing and produced 'Younger, Thinner, Blonder' 'Love, Lies and Lemon Cake' and 'Snow Angels, Secrets and Christmas Cake,' 'Summer Flings and Dancing Dreams,' and 'Bella's Christmas Bake Off.' Her next book 'We'll Always have Paris,' came out in ebook in June 2016 and will be out in paperback in 2017.

Originally from Manchester, Sue now lives with her husband and teenage daughter in Worcestershire where she bakes (and eats) lots of cake. She spends much of her time making big decisions about whether to have Caramel Chew Chew or Peanut Butter ice cream (or both?) while watching 'The Biggest Loser USA,' and procrastinating over her latest novel. 

For more info visit Sue's website; http://www.suewatsonbooks.com/

Sue would love to meet you on FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/suewatsonbooks


Follow Sue on Twitter @suewatsonwriter

Sue Watson on Amazon

1 comment:

  1. Ha - really enjoyed your post Sue! I have a similar husband - and have managed to raise two equally ball obsessed kids. If they're not playing it, they're watching it! Years ago I took the decision, if you can't beat them, join them. Now I watch too, though their idea of 'talent on the pitch' and mine are quite different :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...